Ingredients (serves 6 people)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 gloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 cups chicken*, cooked and shredded
- 12 6” flour tortillas
- 1 cup Cotija cheese**, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salsa, for dipping
- Nonfat Greek yogurt, for dipping
- *Tip: Save time by using a store-bought rotisserie chicken. For leftovers, try our Zesty Chicken Quesadillas or Shredded Chicken Sliders with Cherry Chipotle Barbecue Sauce.
- **Tip: Cojita cheese is a hard Mexican cheese found at specialty food stores and some grocery stores. For this recipe, feel free to substitute shredded jack cheese.
- Preheat oven to 425°F and grease baking sheet with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until fragrant and golden brown, about 12 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 3 minutes, then reduce heat to medium low. Add the cumin, cayenne and salt, then cook for 3 more minutes. Turn off heat and toss in cilantro and shredded chicken. Set aside.
- To assemble, lay tortillas on a clean work surface and spread the bottom third of each with 3 tablespoons of chicken mixture. Top with a tablespoon of cheese, then roll up. Place seam-side down on baking sheet.
- Brush rolls lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake until crisp and lightly browned, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Slice them in half on the bias, then serve with sides of salsa and Greek yogurt for dipping.
- Tip: For delicious dinner in a snap, keep a sealed bag of pre-made chicken taquitos in the freezer. To cook, just pop them in the oven on an oiled baking sheet for 10 minutes at 425°F.